On May 19, 2019, the MicroBT New Product Launch Conference was held at the first JW Marriott Hotel in Chengdu China with the theme of “Extreme Win-Win, Success Again”. Yang Zuoxing, the founder and CEO of MicroBT, officially released the latest generation of bitcoin miner Whatsminer M20 series.
The latest generation of bitcoin miner Whatsminer M20 series released by MicroBT includes five models, all of which adopt the Samsung 8nm chips.
- Whatsminer M20: Hashrate 45T, power consumption 48W/T, 10A socket compatible
- Whatsminer M21: Hashrate 28T, power consumption 60W/T, 10A socket compatible
- Whatsminer M21B (welfare for old customers): MicroBT provides hashboard compatible to M3, and users can assembly with M3 components so that the control board, power supply, and casing of Whatsminer M3 can be reused to cut cost and improve utilization. Hashrate 28T, power consumption ratio 60W and 10A socket compatible.
- Whatsminer M21S (fast cost recovery): provides standard 56TH hash, power consumption ratio 60W/T, hash at low power mode 30T, power consumption ratio 50W, 16A socket is needed.
- Whatsminer M20S (high hashrate): the highest hashrate and the best power consumption ratio, hashrate 68T, power consumption ratio 48W, 16A socket is needed(refer to: Evaluation on MicroBT Whatsminer M20S Bitcoin Miner).
We received the latest bitcoin miner, Whatsminer M21-28T. Let’s have a trial experience.
Like Whatsminer M3, Whatsminer M21-28T adopts the integrated design with long power supply and smaller sizes.
The hash board is designed to be compatible with that of Whatsminer M3, so that the user can purchase the hashboard separately to assemble with M3 components and reuse the control board, power supply, casing and other accessories of M3 miner, which can reduce the costs of upgrading and improve the utilization rate.
The official hashrate of Whatsminer M21-28T is 28T with the power consumption ratio of 60W; the physical size is 380x130x220mm and the weight is 6.7 kg.
Whatsminer M21-28T is equipped with P5-12-2200-v1 power supply to provide the output of DC 12.8V 172A, 10A socket in the mining farm is compatible.
The power supply of Whatsminer M21-28T is fixed with the specially designed aluminum rack. The rack on the power connector side can not only fix the power cords but also protect the wires. It can also be used as the handle for the sake of convenience.
Whatsminer M21-28T adopts flat cable to connect the control board and the hashboard. Check the cables before installation.
On the control board there are Ethernet interface, TF card slot, IP button, reset button and status indicator. The most impressive one is the MAC address is attached on the control board so that it’s more convenient to find out the IP address of the miner(refer to: How to find out the IP address of your crypto miner).
Two 12038 cooling fans are used, one for air blowing and one for air exhaustion, the fan power is 12V 2.8A.
The connection is very convenient now and users only need to connect the power cord and the network cable. According to the trial experience by EastShore, the power consumption of Whatsminer M21-28T is 1790W. The noise level about one meter away from the miner is 80dBs.
The hash displayed on the configuration page is 28.45TH/s, the average 24-hour hash is 28.53TH/s and the power consumption ratio is 62.74W/T.
General speaking, the power consumption ratio of Whatsminer M21-28T is 62.74W/T while that of M21S-50T is 66.22W/T, so the former seems to be a little more advantageous but the overall hashrate is also lower.